Sunday, February 1, 2009

Poetry Break - Book Poem

BOOK! by Kristine O’Connell George

Introduction

Show children a favorite book from your own childhood. Tell why you found it so enjoyable and if you had a particular reading place or special person you shared it with.


My gift is flat and square –

Rip that paper! What’s in there?

Book!

I like the way you open.

I can turn your pages by myself.

I like the way you close.

I can put you on my shelf.

I can read you to the cat,

Or upside down, or maybe…

Wear you like a hat!

I’ll show you to the baby,

I’ll take you on a wagon ride

To my secret place,

Where both of us can hide.

After that, we’ll find an empty lap

Before I take my nap.

We’ll read you warm and snug, Book!

I’ll give you a hug, Book!

Open wide. Look inside.

Book!


George, Kristine O'Connell. 2001. Book!. New York: Clarion Books.


Extension
Bring out a selection of board books from the library. Let children choose one and describe the type of child they believe might enjoy it or why they think a young child would find that book appealing. Follow up by having children bring a favorite book of their own and a photo of themselves when they were younger for a library or classroom display. Be sure to bring a photo of yourself, too!

Another poem about the thrill books can give early readers or pre-readers…


A Classic

By J. Patrick Lewis

A children’s book is a classic

If at six, excitedly

You read it to another kid

Who just turned sixty-three.


Lewis, J. Patrick. 2005. Please Bury Me in the Library. New York: Harcourt.

No comments:

Post a Comment